“Your harmonica software is the single best learning tool that is out there in my opinion, it is a major game changer and it has been so helpful to me, so thank you for making me a better player. Keep up the good work. Your product is amazing.” – Jeff Krusel
“It is a fantastic piece of software and is very useful and helpful…I really like the app. So helpful and provides a clear mental image – which makes it so much easier to transcribe and learn (remember) licks and tunes.” – John McGuiness
“I purchased Harp Ninja at the encouragement of my harmonica instructor, and it has been one of the best investments I’ve made in my playing. I pull the software up on my phone whenever I have a few minutes of downtime and I use it to work on my bends. Seeing the note progression visually is such a help. I highly recommend Harp Ninja to any level of harmonica player.” – Myles Stone
Learn Harmonica Faster with the best Harmonica Software App
- HarpNinja is an innovative harmonica software app that supports your harmonica learning independent of whatever method you are using. It is targeted at beginner/intermediate level harmonica players, but advanced players should also find it useful to sharpen their skills.
It currently has three modes of use.
- The Tuning Dojo helps build your mental model of the harmonica faster by visualizing all the notes on a diatonic (10-hole) harmonica or 12-Hole Chromatic. Combined with real time pitch recognition it gives you accurate feedback on your playing no matter what the key, tuning, scale, or chord. Select from 8 commonly available Diatonic tunings (Major, Natural Minor, Harmonic Minor, Melody maker, Country, Diminished, Powerbender, or Suzuki Ultrabend Sub30) or 7 Chromatic Tunings (Standard/Solo, Bebop, C6, C6 Bebop, Diminished, Augmented, or Whole Tone), all 12 Keys, 18 Scales, and 5 Chord types (Maj, Min, 7th, Aug, Dim). You can also switch the display between notes or music intervals. Play your harmonica and the Real time pitch recognition highlights the notes on screen. An audio recorder also allows you to record short segments to hear your own playing. There is also the ability to playback a Song, Scale, or Riff that shows you the notes on the harmonica as they play.
- The Melody Dojo is an advanced game mode for practising and learning Songs, Scales, & Riffs. When the notes scrolling down the screen reach the green “hit zone” you score points by playing the correct note on your own Harmonica. Select “Pause Mode” if you want the game to stop if you miss the note, and it will wait for you to play the correct note before proceeding to the next one. The difficulty modes of Slow, Normal, & Fast control the overall playback speed, which you can also adjust in the dojo via the speed slider. Tunes are organized by Harmonica position and currently include:
- Beginner Tunes – No Bends: Baa Baa Black Sheep, Goodnight Ladies, Jingle Bells, London Bridge, Mary Had a Little Lamb, On Top Of Old Smokey, Ring Around The Rosey, Row Row Row Your Boat, Taps, When The Saints Go Marching In, C Chromatic (for chromatic harp)
- 1st Position tunes in C: C Major scale, 3 Blind Mice, Jingle Bells, La Cucaracha, Lili Marlene, Mary Had A Little Lamb, Oh Susanna, Yankee Doodle Dandy
- 2nd Position tunes in G: G Mixolydian scale, 12 Bar in G, Frere Jacques, Shuffle in G, Mexican Hat Dance, Twinkle Twinkle
- 3rd Position in Dm: Dm Dorian scale, Help You Shuffle, Sakura, St James Infirmary in Dm, You Got To Move
- 4th Position in Am: Am Aeolian scale, Shuffle in Am, St James Infirmary in Am, Swing in Am
Tunes are able to be transposed to any other key, and also any other harmonica key and tuning available with HarpNinja. A warning will show if some of the transposed notes are unavailable for the selected transposition.
- The Circle Dojo is an interactive Circle of Fifth’s specially adapted for harmonica.
The Circle of Fifth’s is a well known music theory tool for working out chord and scale relationships. See the Help section for links to more information on this useful tool.
- Windows 7 or later; Mac OS X 10.8 or later, iOS 7+ or as detailed at Unity3D System Requirements
[Please note we cannot support Operating Systems that are no longer officially supported by Microsoft or Apple – this means XP and Snow Leopard/Lion etc]
- Minimum 2ghz processor
- Graphics card with DirectX 9 level (shader model 2.0) capabilities. Any card made since 2004 should work as long as the drivers are up to date
- 1 GB Ram Minimum
- 16bit 44khz compatible Audio capable
- Note: Some anti-virus applications may need to be configured.
Microsoft Security Essentials (free for Win platforms) works fine.
- iPad $19.99
- Android $19.99
- Desktop $29.99
- Price difference between iPad and Desktop versions is due to added desktop functionality for multi-resolution, quality settings, and full screen.
- Please note: Due to the way Apple and Google Play AppStores operate it is not possible for me to offer cross-platform licenses.
However, within each platform you can run HarpNinja on any device for that platform. Please contact me if you need more clarification.
This is version 2 of HarpNinja. We have many ideas for new features & content. The HarpNinja development roadmap is constantly being evaluated based on planned features and user feedback.